Low-Carb Flax Bread/Muffins
- 1 cup ground flaxseed (use golden flaxseed–not dark–for a lighter taste)
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup egg whites (8 egg whites)
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or oil with coconut or olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk flax, flour, cinnamon and baking power.
- Add egg whites, pumpkin and water; stir until incorporated.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake 40 minutes or until top is firm and golden brown.
- Let cool and then slice.
Tips & Variations:
- To make oat flour, grind in a blender or food processor to a flour consistency.
- Substitute wheat bran for oat flour (which will result in a very high fibre bread, so don’t eat too much at once! Just sayin’.)
- Instead of pumpkin, use unsweetened applesauce, mashed banana or even mashed avocado!
- Add raisins or currants before baking.
- Make a savoury bread by omitting cinnamon and adding savoury spices.
- To make muffins, reduce baking time to 20 minutes.