Single-Serve Deep Chocolate VitaMuffin Knock-off
- 3 Tbs oat flour (see Tips)
- 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 packets stevia blend, such as Krisda (equivalent to 1.5-2 Tbs sugar)
- 1 egg white or 2 Tbs liquid egg whites
- 2 Tbs plain Greek yogurt or regular plain yogurt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp mini chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, stir ingredients until well blended.
- Transfer batter to a lightly sprayed ramekin, coffee mug or small dish. Microwave on high 90 seconds.
- Remove cake from dish; split in half and “frost” with cream cheese, mashed berries, “berry cheese” (cream cheese or ricotta + mashed berries), ricotta, yogurt, peanut butter whip, nut/seed butter or a few dark chocolate chips. Makes 1 serving.
Per cake: 205 calories, 5 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g trans), 65 mg sodium, 4 g fibre, 6 g sugar, 11 g protein
- To make oat flour, blend oats in a food processor or blender to a flour consistency. I like oat flour because it lends a slight natural sweetness and, unlike whole wheat flour, doesn’t have a “wheat-y” taste, but you can swap it for other flours (e.g., brown rice, whole wheat pastry, half white/half whole grain flour).
- For even more fibre, replace 1 Tbs flour with 1 Tbs wheat bran, oat bran or ground flaxseed.
- Make it more fudge-y by using more cocoa powder and less flour; add extra sweetener.
- Substitute canned pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, ricotta or mashed banana for yogurt.
- Add ¼ teaspoon cinnamon for natural sweetness and antioxidants. (Studies show cinnamon helps to lower blood sugar levels, which helps with weight loss.)
- Sub other extracts for vanilla (e.g., almond, maple, coconut, peppermint).
- Swap carob powder for cocoa powder. When using carob powder, you can usually add less sweetener as carob powder is slightly sweet.
- No microwave? Oven bake 15 minutes at 350 F.
- Peanut butter cupcake: Spoon half of the batter into prepared dish; top with 1 tsp peanut butter, and then top with remaining batter. Bake as directed.
- Coconut cupcake: Add 1 Tbs unsweetened flaked coconut to batter and swap vanilla with coconut extract. Bake as directed.
- Oat doughnut: Omit cocoa altogether; add 1 Tbs oat flour (or 1 Tbs oat bran or ground flaxseed), ¼ tsp cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Bake as directed.