Skinny Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Moist and fudgey (that’s a word, right?), each muffin has zero fat and only 105 calories (or fewer when made with stevia).
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour or oat flour (see Tips)
- 12 packets stevia blend (equal to ½ cup sugar) OR ½ cup raw sugar
- 4 Tbs ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line two muffin pans with parchment paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, stevia or sugar, flaxseed, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg, milk, applesauce, zucchini and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture; stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Divide batter among 16 muffin cups (pour water into empty muffin cups to ensure even baking). Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 16 muffins.
- If desired, sprinkle 1 tsp mini chocolate chips over each muffin upon removing from oven, spreading chips evenly over muffin as they melt. Or, frost with my Not-Nutella, Pumpkin Parfait Spread or Peanut Butter Whip.
Per muffin (made w/sugar): 105 calories, 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans), 90 mg sodium, 3 g fibre, 8 g sugar, 3 g protein
- To make oat flour, grind oats in a blender or food processor to a flour consistency.