Protein Pancake (& Muffin) Baking Mix
Who needs Bisquick? Keep this whole grain, protein-packed baking mix on hand for delicious, diet-friendly pancakes any time of day. (Or do as I do: cook a bunch and keep in the fridge for quick snacks.) Don’t feel like pancakes? Make a muffin instead!
- 2½ cups oat flour (see Tips)
- 1½ cups vanilla protein powder
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup ground flaxseed (use golden flax—not dark brown—for a lighter taste)
- 2 Tbs cinnamon
- 4 packets stevia blend (optional)
- Add ingredients to a Ziploc bag; shake until ingredients are incorporated. Store in the cupboard.
To make pancakes:
- Whisk ½ cup baking mix, 2 egg whites (¼ cup liquid whites) and ¼ cup milk until smooth.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat to medium. Ladle ¼ cup mounds of batter on skillet; cook until edges firm and bubbles form on top, about 1 minute. Flip; cook 30 seconds more. Makes 1 serving.
Per serving: 224 calories, 5 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g trans), 177 mg sodium, 5 g fibre, 1 g sugar, 27 g protein
To make a muffin:
- Stir ¼ cup baking mix, 1 egg white (2 Tbs liquid whites), 2 Tbs applesauce (or mashed banana, yogurt or canned pumpkin) and 1 packet stevia blend.
- Spoon batter into a lightly oiled ramekin or coffee mug; microwave 90 seconds. Makes 1 serving.
Per serving: 121 calories, 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g trans), 71 mg sodium, 3 g fibre, 3 g sugar, 14 g protein
Tips & Variations:
- To make oat flour, grind oats in a blender or food processor to a flour consistency.
- To make chocolate pancakes, add 1 Tbs cocoa and 1-2 packets stevia blend (or to taste) to batter. Or swap chocolate protein powder for vanilla in the baking mix. (I, however, prefer using vanilla protein powder in my baking mix as it’s more versatile; you can always add cocoa, but you can’t take it away!)
- For a vegan version, use rice (or other nondairy) protein powder and substitute ¼ cup non-dairy milk for egg whites in pancake mix and 2 Tbs nondairy milk for egg white in muffin mix.
- Add a dash of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice to batter for “pumpkin pie” pancakes.
- Add a bit of extract (e.g., vanilla, almond, maple) to batter.
- Add fresh or frozen berries, chopped apple, sliced banana, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, dried fruit, etc. to batter.