Light Lemon Hummus
Why pay for hummus when you can make it yourself in minutes—and for less money! For variety, blend in roasted garlic or red peppers, fresh parsley, lemon zest or sun-dried tomatoes.
- 1 19-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Chopped fresh parley (optional)
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth. If needed, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with chopped parsley and cayenne.
- Serve with raw veggies, whole grain crackers, pita or rice cakes; or spread on sandwiches.
Per serving (2 Tbs): 59 calories, 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g trans), 131 mg sodium, 2 g fibre, 0 g sugar, 2 g protein
Tips & Variations:
- Combine hummus with salsa for a spicy dip or burger/sandwich topper.
- Whisk hummus with water for a quick salad dressing.
- Hummus + chicken = Heavenly Hummus Chicken
- No tahini? Use creamy natural peanut butter instead.