Sugar-Free Berry Chia Jam
Um, does jam-making get easier than this? No pectin (what the heck is that, anyway?), no gelatin, no cooking, no sugar . . . just berries and chia seeds, which are super high in protein, fibre (one tablespoon contains five grams!), antioxidants, calcium (18 percent of the daily value per ounce), magnesium and omega-3 fats; in fact, ounce for ounce, chia contains more omega-3s than salmon! In short, they rock. And so does this jam. Spread it on low-carb flax bread or high-protein scones, or spoon over banana soft serve or rice cakes topped with nut/seed butter. It’s also great wrapped in a tortilla with cottage cheese. Basically, use where you would regular jam!
- 1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
- 2 Tbs chia seeds (white or black)
- 2-3 packets stevia (optional–depends on ripeness of berries)
- In a bowl, mash berries with a fork. Stir in chia and stevia, if using.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour (ideally overnight–the longer it sits, the thicker it gets). Enjoy!
Per 2 Tbs: 18 calories, 1g fat (0g sat, 0g trans), 1mg sodium, 1g fibre, 1g sugars, 0g protein
- Swap any berry for strawberries, e.g., blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.