Spicy Bean Burgers
- 1 19-oz. can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs salsa (plus extra for serving)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 whole grain buns or pitas
- In a medium bowl, mash beans using a fork or potato masher (or process in a food processor).
- Add oats, onion, salsa, spices and egg; mix until well combined. Shape mixture into 6 patties.
- Spray a non-stick skillet and heat to medium; cook burgers 3-4 minutes each side. Or, place patties on an oiled or parchment paper lined baking sheet; bake 20 minutes at 400 F or until heated through.
- Serve burgers on whole grain buns or pita with extra salsa. Makes 6 burgers.
Per burger: 196 calories, 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans), 39 mg sodium, 11 g fibre, 1 g sugar, 11 g protein
Tips & Variations:
- Use another type of bean, such as chickpeas, pinto or black beans.
- Substitute shredded zucchini (1 small) for chopped onion.
- Add a few tablespoons chopped green pepper, pineapple or shredded carrots to bean mixture.
- Try a fruit-based salsa, such as mango.
- Top burgers with mashed avocado or hummus instead of salsa.