Cheesy Spinach Tuna Bake (or Stuffed Peppers)
- 1 cup 1% or 2% cottage cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil and/or no-salt seasoning blend
- 2 300-gram packages frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 large cans (120-150-grams each) solid white albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (or substitute ¼ cup tomato paste)
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease an 8-inch (2-quart) baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, seasoning, spinach, tuna and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish, smoothing top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes, or until it’s hot and cheese is melted. Serves 4.
Per serving: 225 calories, 5 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g trans), 570 mg sodium*, 5 g fibre, 4 g sugar, 36 g protein (*To lower the sodium content, use low-sodium varieties of cottage cheese and canned tuna.)
Stuffed Peppers Variation:
- Slice tops off eight bell peppers; remove ribs and seeds from each pepper. If pepper bottom is uneven, slice a little off the bottom so it’s level.
- Fill peppers with tuna mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Place peppers upright in a lightly greased 8-inch (2-quart) baking dish; bake as directed above. Serves 4 (2 peppers each).
- Spread the unbaked mixture on whole grain bread, wraps or crackers.