No-Yeast Pizza Crust & Five-Minute Tomato Sauce
Making your own pizza crust is easy and cheap—and healthier than take-out! These DIY pizzas were a big hit in my kids’ cooking classes. (Why not let them make dinner for a change?) For individual pizzas, divide the dough and bake as directed below. (You can also wrap individual portions of dough in plastic wrap and freeze.)
- 1¼ cups whole wheat or spelt flour (For a lighter texture, substitute ½-¾ cup white flour.)
- ¼ cup ground flax
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1-2 Tbs dried herbs (e.g., basil, oregano, rosemary, Italian seasoning) (optional)
- 2 Tbs olive oil, plus more for drizzling over pan
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, flax, baking powder, salt and herbs. Make a well in the centre; add water and oil. Slowly stir flour mixture into olive oil/water.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the pizza sauce (see recipe below).
- When you’re ready to bake, drizzle a bit of olive oil over a pizza pan or cookie sheet; use fingers to spread oil on pan. Place dough on pan. Drizzle 2 Tbs olive oil over dough and then use fingertips to stretch/spread dough evenly over pan.
- Bake 15 minutes. While crust is baking, prepare pizza toppings.
- Remove crust from oven; top with sauce and toppings. Bake 10 minutes more or until toppings are hot and cheese is melted.
Five-Minute Tomato Sauce
Avoid added salt, sugar and preservatives in storebought pizza sauce by making your own.
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1-2 Tbs minced garlic (fresh or jarred)
- 1½ Tbs Italian seasoning (or a mixture of dried oregano, basil and parsley)
- 1½ Tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1¼ cups filtered water
- Blend ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth (or whisk in a bowl).
- Spread sauce over pizza crust; bake as directed above. Refrigerate extra sauce.
Topping Ideas: Pesto, fresh or roasted veggies (e.g., mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, onions), crumbled firm tofu, crumbled cooked veggie burgers, chopped cooked chicken, cooked ground beef or chicken, shredded cheese, goat cheese, feta, hot peppers, pineapple, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, spinach, arugula