Oven “Fried” Parmesan Chicken
This crispy baked chicken dish is tasty and quick. Kids love it! Serve with sweet potato fries and salad.
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 3 Tbs Dijon or whole grain mustard
- ¾ cup whole grain breadcrumbs, Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or whole grain cereal crumbs*
- ¼ ground flaxseed
- 2½ Tbs grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp seasoning blend or ¼ tsp each garlic salt and pepper
- 6 raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 5 ounces each)
- Cooking spray (I fill my Misto with olive oil. Who wants to spray food with propellants?!)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, whisk egg whites and mustard. In another shallow dish, combine bread/cereal crumbs, flaxseed, Parmesan, basil and seasoning.
- Dip chicken pieces into egg mixture, and then dredge in dry mixture to coat.
- Place chicken on baking sheet; spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 25 minutes or until juices run clear when thickest part of breast is pierced with a fork.
Per breast: 206 calories, 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans), 275 mg sodium, 1 g fibre, 1 g sugar, 36 g protein
- For super crispy chicken, line a baking sheet with foil; place a wire rack on the sheet and mist with cooking spray. Prepare chicken; place on rack, and then lightly spray chicken with oil. Bake as directed.
- To make your own breadcrumbs, toast whole grain bread, let cool, and then process in a food processor to a fine crumb. Or, make “cereal crumbs” by crushing whole grain cereal flakes in a Ziploc bag or by processing cereal in a food processor.