Veggie Frittata (with Muffin & Single-Serve Variations)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup liquid egg whites (8 egg whites)
- ½ cup 1% or 2% cottage cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped and seeded tomatoes
- ¾ cup shredded low-fat cheddar
- 2 tsp salt-free seasoning or herb blend
- Few shakes hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray an 8-inch baking dish or 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir all ingredients until well combined. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until set. Serves 4.
Per serving: 175 calories, 7 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g trans), 320 mg sodium, 1 g fibre, 3 g sugar, 23 g protein
Tips & Variations:
- Substitute other veggies (e.g., spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers) for broccoli and tomatoes.
- Use feta, goat cheese, parmesan or other cheese instead of cheddar.
Muffin Frittatas: Divide mixture among 12 muffin cups lined with parchment paper muffin liners. Bake as directed above. (These make great snacks!)
- Blend or whisk 1 large egg, 2 large egg whites (¼ cup liquid egg whites), 2 Tbs cottage cheese, ½ tsp seasoning and dash hot sauce. Stir in ½ cup chopped veggies.
- Pour mixture into a small non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Cook over medium heat 4-5 minutes or until cooked on the bottom. Carefully flip; sprinkle with 3 Tbs shredded cheese. Cover skillet with a lid; cook 2 minutes more (or until cheese melts).
- Tip: Blending mixture in a food processor or blender will yield a fluffier, souffle-like frittata.