Super Simple Salmon Burgers
These quick and easy salmon burgers combine some of my favourite foods: salmon, squash, oats and mustard (mustard is a food in my book). Super low in calories and carbs, they’re packed with fat-burning protein and omega-3s; heck, you could eat the entire batch in one sitting if you wanted!
- 1 213-g can wild salmon (no-salt variety preferred, e.g., Goldseal No-Salt Pacific Pink Salmon)
- ½ cup cooked, mashed butternut squash or sweet potato
- 1 Tbs whole grain mustard
- 3 Tbs oat bran (or oats, ground flaxseed or breadcrumbs)
- 2 Tbs fresh chopped parsley or 2 tsp dried parsley (optional)
- Pepper and/or no-salt seasoning blend, to taste (e.g., Spike Salt-Free Magic)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with cooking spray); set aside.
- In a bowl, combine ingredients. Shape into 4 patties and place on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes; flip; bake 10 minutes more. Or, cook over medium heat in a lightly oiled non-stick skillet, about 4 minutes each side.
- Serve burgers over shredded cabbage, coleslaw or greens. Top with salsa, guacamole, hummus or more mustard!
Per burger: 99 calories, 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans), 84 mg sodium, 1 g fibre, 0 g sugar, 12 g protein