High-Protein Pizza Muffins
I can’t take credit for these awesome quiche-like muffins. The original recipe is from Rose Elliot’s Vegetarian Supercook. Each muffin boasts 10 grams of protein and 20% of the daily value for calcium. Best of all, they taste like pizza!
- 1 cup 1% or 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (e.g. parmesan, mozzarella)
- ¼ cup whole grain flour (e.g., oat, brown rice, whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup almonds, finely ground*
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ cup basil, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 9 muffin cups with parchment paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir ingredients until well combined. Divide batter among muffin cups; bake 30-35 minutes or until set and golden brown. Makes 9 muffins.
Tips & Variations:
- *To grind almonds, process whole or sliced almonds in a food processor or coffee grinder until finely ground. Or, use packaged almond meal/flour.
- Substitute ground almonds with 3/4 cup ground sunflower seeds and ¼ cup ground flaxseed.
- Use different cheeses and add-ins, such as feta, olives, spinach, roasted red peppers or pesto.
- For a great appetizer, make mini muffins.
- Fill empty muffin cups with water to ensure even baking.
Per muffin: 141 calories, 9 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g trans), 185 mg sodium, 2 g fibre, 2 g sugar, 10 g protein