Chickpea Tomato Soup
- 1 32-oz. carton (4 cups) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes (regular or with basil; salt-free variety preferred)
- 1 cup low-fat milk or unsweetened non-dairy beverage
- 1 19-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs basil pesto or fresh, slivered basil (optional)
- In a large pot, bring broth and tomatoes to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat; stir in milk and chickpeas. Simmer over low heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Stir 1 tsp pesto into each or garnish with slivered basil. Serves 6.
Per serving: 202 calories, 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g trans), 431 mg sodium, 9 g fibre, 6 g sugar, 10 g protein