Southwest Chicken Chili (& Veggie Option)
This filling and flavourful chili takes just 20 minutes from start to finish—add everything to a pot and simmer away! If you prefer your food to bite you back, add more spices. To make it completely veggie, omit the chicken.
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes (no-salt variety preferred)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 19-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup skinless chicken, shredded or chopped (I like to use poached chicken.)
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped (or other vegetable, e.g., peppers, sweet potato, mushrooms)
- 4 corn tortillas OR 16 corn or multigrain tortilla chips, crushed into bite-size pieces
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, bring tomatoes, cumin and chili powder to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add beans, chicken and vegetables; cover and simmer until veggies are cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Bake or toast corn tortillas, and then break into bite size pieces.
- Garnish bowls of chili with crushed tortilla chips and cheese. Serves 4.
Per serving: 343 calories, 4 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g trans), 398 mg sodium, 13 g fibre, 24 g protein