Meg’s Protein Bars
- 5 scoops (1¼ cups) vanilla protein powder
- 2 cups quick oats
- ½ cup ground flaxseed (choose golden flax–not brown–for a lighter taste)
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted sunflower seeds (or other nut/seed)
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- ½ cup applesauce (no sugar added)
- 3-4 Tbs hot water
- ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- ½ tsp butter or vegetable oil (e.g., coconut or canola oil)
- Line an 8-inch baking dish with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang over two sides; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir protein powder, oats, flax, cinnamon and sunflower seeds.
- In another bowl, whisk peanut butter, applesauce and 3 Tbs hot water.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture; stir to combine. If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of water. (It may be easier to use your hands to combine the ingredients, but wet them first as the mixture will be sticky.)
- Transfer mixture to baking dish. Use wet hands to pack down mixture evenly.
- In a small bowl, microwave chocolate chips and vegetable oil or butter 20-30 seconds (do not overheat or chocolate will scorch). Stir until chocolate dissolves; use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate over bars (or spread evenly over bars).
- Place in fridge or freezer 20-30 minutes. When chilled, lift bars from pan by holding onto plastic wrap. Slice into 10 bars. Store in an airtight container or wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate.
Per bar (w/chocolate): 240 cal, 12 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g trans), 19 g carb (4 g fibre, 4 g sugar), 24 mg sodium, 19 g protein
(W/out chocolate): 215 cal, 10g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans), 24 mg sodium, 17 g carb (4 g fibre, 3 g sugar), 19 g protein
- Make protein “balls” (not bars) by rolling mixture into small balls (wet hands first).
- If desired, add chocolate chips to mixture instead of drizzling bars with chocolate.
- If you don’t roll with dairy, use rice protein powder (or other type). Depending on the powder, you may have to add more liquid (water and/or applesauce).