Cranberry Sunflower Biscotti
Think making biscotti is hard? Think again! Low in fat and sugar, these whole grain cookies are a snap to make. Feel free to substitute other dried fruit, nuts or chocolate for sunflower seeds and cranberries—the variations are endless!
- 3 Tbs vegetable oil (e.g., olive oil or canola oil)
- ½ cup stevia baking blend or raw sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated orange zest (optional)
- 1¾ cups light spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbs ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup raw or toasted sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil, sweetener, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and zest until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, flaxseed, baking powder and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet until blended, and then stir in pistachios and cranberries. (The dough will be stiff but sticky.)
- Divide dough in half. Transfer to baking sheet; shape into two 12″ x 2″ logs (wet hands to prevent sticking).
- Bake 35 minutes or until lightly golden and firm. Remove from oven; let cool 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275 F.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board and cut diagonally into ¾” slices. Place biscotti cut side down on baking sheet. Bake until dry, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 24 biscotti.
Per biscotti: 94 calories, 4 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g trans), 46 mg sodium, 2 g fibre, 2 g protein