Energy Bars (Dairy-, Egg-, Sweetener- and Protein Powder-Free!)
No protein powder on hand? No problem. You don’t need protein powder (or dairy, eggs, oil or added sweetener!) to make a good energy bar. Nuts and seeds are excellent sources of protein, and they’re packed with fibre, which helps to stabilize blood sugar.
Feel free to swap in or add ingredients—shredded coconut, coconut flour, prunes, sliced almonds, dark chocolate . . . use what you have on hand!
- ¾ cup whole grain flour (e.g., oat, brown rice, spelt)
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup just-boiled water
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, pour just-boiled water over raisins; let sit 10 minutes.
- Process all ingredients, including raisins and raisin water, in a food processor until they hold together. Add more water, 1 Tbs at a time, if the mixture if too dry. (Or, mix ingredients by hand in a large bowl.)
- Pack mixture into prepared pan; score into 16 squares with a sharp knife. Bake 20 minutes. Makes 16 bars.
Per bar: 125 calories, 6 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans), 4 mg sodium, 3 g fibre, 6 g sugar, 5 g protein