Not only do these cost far less than Larabars, they’re just as tasty! (Tip: Buying nuts, seeds and dried fruit in bulk is often much cheaper than buying packages.) Feel free to experiment with different nuts or add other ingredients, such as cinnamon, shredded coconut or cocoa powder—scan Larabar ingredient labels for inspiration.
- 1 cup raw or dry roasted unsalted cashews*
- 1 cup raw or dry roasted unsalted peanuts*
- 1½ cups raisins or chopped dates
*Roasted nuts are more flavourful than raw, but make sure they are dry roasted, not roasted in oil.
- In a food processor, pulse nuts to a coarse crumb.
- Add raisins or dates; process until mixture is sticky and holds together when squeezed. (If it doesn’t hold together, add ½ Tbs water at a time; continue to process until it sticks.)
- Divide “dough” into 10 equal portions. Set a sheet of plastic wrap on the kitchen counter and place one portion in the centre. Fold one half of plastic wrap over dough. Use hands to shape into a bar, and then wrap up completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate or freeze.
- Roll dough into small balls instead of bars (wet hands first to prevent sticking).