Meg’s Skinny Oatmeal Chip Cookies
- 1 cup oat, whole wheat pastry or light spelt flour
- 1½ cups quick oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 12 packets stevia (equivalent to ½ cup sugar) OR ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg or 2 large egg whites (¼ cup liquid egg whites)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana (1 banana)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil (e.g., olive, canola or coconut)
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (or raisins, currants, etc.)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, oats, flaxseed, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl, stir stevia or sugar, egg or egg whites, applesauce or banana, vanilla and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry; stir until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop tablespoons of batter onto baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Makes about 24 cookies.
Per cookie (w/egg whites, applesauce & stevia; no nuts): 66 calories, 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans), 80 g sodium, 2 g fibre, 2 g sugar, 2 g protein
Tip: To boost the protein content, swap 1/3 cup flour for 1/3 cup vanilla whey concentrate, such as IsaPro.