“Pookies” (Protein Cookies)
Meg’s Pookies (a.k.a. Protein Cookies)
- 2 cups oat flour*
- 1 cup naturally sweetened vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup ground flaxseed (use golden flax–not dark brown–for a lighter taste)
- 6 packets stevia blend (equivalent to 4 Tbs sugar)
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana (1 medium banana)
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 4 Tbs vegetable oil (e.g., olive, walnut, coconut)
- ½ cup water or milk
- 1/3 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, protein powder, flax, stevia, cinnamon and baking soda. Add banana, vanilla, oil, water and currants; stir to combine.
- Place six 1/3-½ cup mounds of batter on each baking sheet, spacing each at least an inch apart. Use wet fingers to flatten and shape.
- Bake 8 minutes (do not overbake!). Let cool; store in an airtight container (or in plastic wrap) in the fridge. Makes 12 BIG pookies.
Per pookie: 175 calories, 8 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans), 119 mg sodium, 3 g fibre, 4 g sugar, 11 g protein
Tips & Variations:
- *To make oat flour, grind oats in a blender or food processor to a flour-like consistency.
- Don’t do dairy? Use rice protein powder (or other type), but you may need to use more or less liquid (banana, oil, water, etc.), depending on your powder.
- Substitute canned pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce for banana (you may need to increase the amount of sweetener to ½ cup).
- Use different extracts, such as almond or coconut.
- Substitute chopped nuts, chocolate chips, raisins or other dried fruit for currants.